Nicky Bomba CV/BIO
– Born 7-9-1963 in Malta
– Migrated to Australia late 64
– Started drums age 6
– Learned marching drums at Sacred Heart School (George Watson Certificates)
– Appeared on Kevin Dennis New Faces age 7 with band (Drum solo)
– Performed regularly with family dance band
– Toured nationally age 12 with European performers
– Recorded ‘Tislija’ with Maltese singing priest, no.1 hit in Malta
– Formed cover band ‘Fugitive Flight’, toured Australia extensively
– Completed yr 11 by correspondence & wrote first song.
– Formed original band GUIDED TOUR recorded 1st album & toured nationally
– Inhouse Clinician at Ron Leigh”s Music Factory
– Inhouse drummer for NETWORK HORNS, Grainstore Tavern
– Formed original band MAJOR MINOR (Bass & Lead vocals) (toured Nationally)
– 1988 – signed publishing contract with MARBLE MUSIC
– joined RELAX WITH MAX, produced EP
– formed NICKY BOMBA & THE APOSTLES OF PEP (drums & vox)
– 1988 established NOAH’S ARK recording studio.
– Began Sound engineering exploration
– Produced ANGEL DOVE cd for AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL
– Performed with SHERINE’S X MACHINE, YOYO, BIG EXPRESS, KOLORS, JOE DOLCE
– Formed THE TRUTH, recorded, secured recording & publishing deal with MUSHROOM RECORDS. – All initial recordings at Nicky’s studio.
– Toured extensively around Australia with international artists
– Sought after session musician with many top Australian artists DARYL BRAITHWAITE, TIM FINN, KILLING HEIDI, JOE CAMILLERI, RICHARD PLEASANCE, BACHELOR GIRL, KATE CEBERANO, NICK BARKER , ROSS HANNAFORD, MICHAEL SPIBY(BADLOVES) TINA ARENA ROSS WILSON, DOC NEESON etc
– Established NOAH’S ARK RECORD LABEL,
Set up Office in Williamstown on top of a record store
– Became skilled in all aspects of CD production- Writing, Recording, Artwork, Video Production and Marketing.- Employed Publicist and Label Manager for NOAHS ARK
– Produced ROSS HANNAFORD TRIO album,
– APRA AWARD for Most Performed Jazz Work ‘My Family’ 1998) BANANA OIL
– Coordinated music program for Maribyrnong Secondary College which resulted in writing, recording, producing and promoting MSC1 CD with students, including live performance workshops for Victorian Education Foundation.
– Produced MIND BODY SPIRIT cd for Carol Moylan (Relaxation Therapy)
– Played Drums on KILLING HEIDI’S debut album
– Recorded second Truth album HEADSPACE
– Secured full drum endorsement from SONOR DRUMS and UFIP CYMBALS
– National Drumming Clinics as SONOR Endorsee
– Became mentor for ARTSTATE (Vic Gov/AGE )
– In house drummer for CHANNEL 7’s ALIVE ‘N’ KICKING
– Became skilled in Video production including concepts, storyboards, filming, directing and editing
– Worked with CLAYTON JACOBSON and JAMES GEURTS on Video shoots
– Formed OVERTONES (guitar & lead vocals)
– Wrote music for television commercials (Dr. Pepper & Telstra)
– Produced DUBBLE DUB album ‘DEADLY HEADLY”(Nitecat Residency)
– Drums on Larry Maluma’s ROOTS AND HERBS CD
– Formed new original band BOMBA.
– Recorded and produced first album POPULATION.
– Directed Film Clip “HAIL THAT TAXI”
– Formed TRANSMITTER RECORDS with Joe Camilleri
– Mentor for SONGLINES Indigenous association(Songwriting)
– Produced and engineered SONGLINES compilation CD
– Mentor and Producer at YOTHU YINDI studio in ARNHEM LAND, resulted in NORTH AND SOUTH PATHWAYS CD
– Recorded and Produced GEORGE RRURRAMBU ‘NERBU MESSAGE’
– Drums on THE REVELATORS ( Joe Camilleri)
– “My Family” song added to International Film “BEDAZZLED”
– Northern Territory ‘TOP END TOUR’ with BOMBA and GEORGE RRURRAMBU
– Headlining DARWIN FESTIVAL, School Workshops, Cross Cultural Programs.
– Coordinated Video footage and shot interviews for documentary.
– National Tour: ROCKSTEADY TOUR with JOE CAMILLERI, GEORGE RRURRAMBU and BOMBA
– Directed Filmclip for Banana Oil “120 GUAVA LAMP”
– Produced Andy Baylor’s “ARCADIANA”cd
– Produced Richard Franklin’s “CHARCOAL CLUB” cd
– Tour Managed and Performed CENTRAL AUSTRALIAN tour playing at the foot of ULURU, – Remote Aboriginal Communities and Santa Theresa (Alice Springs)
– Arranged and managed EUROPEAN TOUR (Holland, Germany, Malta) for BOMBA and GEORGE RRURRAMBU incl. workshops and Festival Performances. (International Pathways Grant)
– Visited Birthplace MALTA
– BOMBA voted Best Band at QUEENSCLIFF MUSIC FESTIVAL 2003
– National Festival Circuit (FAIRBRIDGE, EAST COAST BLUES AND ROOTS, QUEENSCLIFF, PORT – FAIRY, APOLLO BAY, WOODFORD, SPIEGELTENT,ADELAIDE FRINGE, MELBOURNE FESTIVAL, KALGOORLIE, FALLS, etc)
– Performed with Members of KIROV OPERA (Melbourne Festival)
– Bomba songs appear on TV; NEIGHBOURS, HOME AND AWAY, SECRET LIFE OF US
– Nicky undertakes Solo World Music Tour playing in HOLLAND GERMANY, SALVADOR as well as a pilgrimage to the birthplace of reggae- JAMAICA
– Attended WOMEX World Music Expo In GERMANY , negotiated distribution deal for Bomba
– Compiled, Designed and Produced” APOLLO BAY FESTIVAL 10th ANNIVERSARY” cd
– Produced cd “INDEED” for the TROJAN HORNS
– Relocated NOAHS ARK studio to Williamstown
– Rereleased BANANA OIL “GUAVA LAMPO”
– Joined MIDDLE EASTERN group(drums) ‘UNIFIED GECKO” learnt odd time signatures and wrote songs with band leader Murat Yucel.
– Recorded and Produced 2nd Bomba album “SOLAR PLEXUS”
– Renewed Publishing Contract with MUSHROOM MUSIC
– Toured NEW ZEALAND as solo performer
– Supported LEE PERRY and MAD PROFESSOR Australiana tour
– Formed acoustic mento/ calypso group ‘BUSTAMENTO”
– TV PRESENTER for CHANNEL 31 ‘MUSICPOT”(songwriting, production and recording)
– NEW YEARS EVE for SBS – Federation Square
– Drums with 14 piece Latin group DESCARGAS (Melbourne Festival)
– Created 30 piece MELBOURNE SKA ORCHESTRA with PBS presenter Mohair Slim (Sold Out Concert Gershwin Room)
– Drums and Percussion on new JOHN BUTLER TRIO cd
– Percussion on PETE MURRAY album
– Toured Nationally with BOMBA as support to John Butler Trio
– Recorded “BUSTAMENTO ‘ demo tracks(unreleased)
– Recorded “UNIFIED GECKO ” album ( 2003 release )
– Australian Delegate for Womex 2003 in Spain(October 20) Gave one hour speech on “TOURING IN AUSTRALIA. The Tyranny of Distance”
– Toured through France, Spain and Malta with Harpist Natalia Mann (ANGELBOMB)
– Opened Adelaide Fringe Festival 2004 with BOMBA
– Performed at Pacific Arts Festival in Christchurch ,New Zealand SOLO
– Wrote Music for “Go For Your Life” Government Health Initiative
– Recorded Original song”INNA ONE YARD “ with OWEN GRAY which was included on “Weekend Sessions 2” through Liberation Records
– Headlined Folk Rhythm and Life Festival, Eldorado Vic Nicky Bomba’s Allstars
– Won Award for MusicPot Television Series (Presenter 6 part series)
– Headlined Apollo Bay Festival with Bomba
– Played Apollo Bay Festival with Bustamento and Unified Gecko
– Recorded ‘LIMESTONE ” album with Joe Camilleri
– JBT album reaches Number One in first week of release
– Began new Mentorship programme with Songlines Australia. (mentoring Johnny Mac)
– Percussion workshop for youth programme in Maryborough(Regional Victoria)
– BANANA OIL regional Victorian tour (Community Halls, Cultural Centres)
– 4 week TOUR of TURKEY with UNIFIED GECKO
– Opening spot with ANGELIQUE KIDJO AngelBomb
– Supported ALPHABLONDY Metro Nightclub Melbourne
– Recorded and Produced LEARN TO BREATHE , 3rd album for BOMBA.
– Began working closely with sound engineer ROBIN MAI on recording techniques.
– Started PRODUCER PARTNERSHIP with MAV (MULTICULTURAL ARTS VICTORIA)
– RECORDED DRUMS & LIONS cd with ETHIOPIAN singer DEREB DESALEGN
– Produced, played all instruments ,mixed and mastered. Designed artwork.
– National Australian tour to promote LEARN TO BREATHE with DEREB as support
– Recorded Mixed and Mastered various Multicultural Artists for VISIBLE cd VOL1 (Sudanese, – Congolese, Somalian, Eritrean, Ethiopian, Comoros Island )
– Recorded cd BOMBA VS LAROZ with TEL AVIV International producer Laroz Haim.
– Big Band Workshop presenter for SWEETHEARTS BIG BAND GEELONG
– Produced VISIBLE CD VOL 2 for MAV
– Travelled to SAMOA and NEW CALEDONIA to explore rhythm and songs
– Performed at WOMAD with LIMESTONE ..special guest Dereb Desalegn
– UB40 National Tour support with BOMBA
– Gigs at BLUESFEST,PYRAMID ROCK,QUEENSCLIFF and APOLLO BAY festivals
– UK Tour with BOMBA TRIO and DEREB…WOMAD UK/ LONDON/ SCOTLAND
– Performed at EDINBURGH FESTIVAL with BOMBA TRIO
– ATTENDED WOMEX SPAIN with DEREB to expand opportunities for DRUMS and LIONS release.
– Traveledto MOROCCO to explore GNAWA MUSIC AND BERBER MUSIC.
– Field Recordings of music including Devotional Choir from Chefchauen
– Traveledto ETHIOPIA to learn more of rhythms and scales. Explored Regional music.
– MC and performance at MELBOURNE INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL
– Produced VISIBLE 3 cd for MAV recorded various artists, mixed, mastered.
– Performed at Federation Square NEW YEARS EVE with BOMBA
– RECORD Album of Traditional Maltese songs with my father, NICOL CARUANA.
– Contribute Music to Hit Film “KENNY”
– Returned to MOROCCO to perform at East meets West Festival.
– Tour NEW CALEDONIA with BOMBA .. Kanaky Music exploration
– National tour with BOMBA for TASMANIA LOGGING Protest song ”Hold Your Ground”
– Record Solo Album PLANET JUICE
– MELBOURNE SKA ORCHESTRA perform at FED SQUARE NEW YEARS EVE
– Complete Solo Album PLANET JUICE , release single “Jah in the Moment”
– Play all instruments, mixed, mastered, assisted with artwork design.
– NATIONAL TOUR promoting Planet Juice.
– Release single CHOP CHOP, shoot filmclip Regional tour
– Travel to MALTA to perform solo gig at FRA BEN WATCHTOWER
– Produce 5 tracks for VISIBLE 4 cd MAV
– Released single “ROCK YA MAMA” with international directed filmclip
– Travel to VANUATU to explore Island Music “String Bands”
– Travel To JAMAICA to record and shoot filmclip for “Highgrade”
– Renegotiated Publishing contract with MUSHROOM MUSIC
– Relocate Studio with upgrade to Victorian countryside
– Join JOHN BUTLER TRIO (JBT) as permanent drummer.
– World tour with John Butler opening as Solo Act and playing drums
– Endorsed to GRETSCH DRUMS WORLWIDE
– Endorsed to VATER DRUMSTICKS with Signature ”Nicky Bomba” sticks
– Record APRIL UPRISING with JBT
– Perform at RED ROCKS COLORADO for DVD
– Extensive 9 month world tour with JBT including Japan and Brazil
– APRIL UPRISING reaches Number One in Australia
– ARIA awards performance
– BIG DAY OUT festival NATIONAL TOUR JBT
– Set Up Full recording studio at home with all musical instruments in one room
– National DRUM CLINIC TOUR for UFIP CYMBALS
– Record Ethiopian Track for VISIBLE CD 6 MAV
– Headline performance at EARTHGARDEN festival in MALTA as NICKY BOMBA
– Took over Management of MELBOURNE SKA ORCHESTRA
– 4 month world tour with JBT including Italy, Czech Republic and Brazil
– Booked to perform at Reggaetown (Nicky Bomba and the Allstars)
– Caloundra Festival with Bomba/MSO/Allstars
– Island Vbe Festival (Allstars)
– Falls Festival (MELBOURNE SKA ORCHESTRA)
– WOMAD (MELBOURNE SKA ORCHESTRA)
– BLUESFEST Byron Bay (MELBOURNE SKA ORCHESTRA)